Pages

Quilting Gallery Logo

Monday, January 2, 2012

Make A Difference Monday

As promised...
the new direction of my blog.
Along with my everyday crafting,
cooking, and whatever else comes up,
I am starting a Make A Difference Monday.
This means every Monday I will be doing a post
on how to make a difference.
I have a photograph that I took hanging in my bathroom,
to which I photoshopped a quote onto it.
It's one of my most favorite quotes by Gandhi, which says,
"You must become the change you want to see in the world"
I totally love this quote.
So, for this first Make A Difference Monday,
I'm starting with me.
Now, you are welcome to join me on this journey,
or follow along,
or share ideas,
whatever wets your whistle.
But the first few posts will be how I can start with myself to make a difference.
The first change I am working on is my thought pattern,
my internal voice,
that most of the time isn't so nice to me.
It's the voice that sets me up for failure.
If I'm going to do this,
I have to be honest.
So, though I may always seem happy-go-lucky,
inside I have this old tape recording,
that lets me know I'm really not
"good enough".
Now, I will tell you, I do not like pity.
All of us are worth more than that,
so please don't think that's where I'm headed with this.
I am heading on the path which leads to great things!
But, in order to get to the 'great things', I have to be
honest with what my internal voice is doing
to sabatoge me from moving forward.
Why, do you ask, am I doing this?
Well, I have always felt that somewhere in life,
I would do something great.
But again, I have let that nasty voice
keep me from doing the things in life that I really want to do.
Once I became an adult, I have no one to blame
but myself for not achieving the things in life I wanted to achieve.
So, if you are coming on this journey with me,
look deep inside yourself.
What is your internal tape recording saying to you?
Is it telling you that you're a victim?
That the way your life is now, is because of someone, or something, else?
Where you are at, where I am at, is because of the choices we ourselves have made.
If you don't like what you see when you look in the mirror,
(meaning from the inside out)
fix it.
On July 7th, I will turn 50 years old.
And I am excited.
One of my biggest hurdles will be loosing weight.
 I didn't get this way because I love food.
I got this way because I let the internal voice
take over and I stuff my feelings.
No more!
So....here I am today.

Yep....this is me in all my chubby cuteness!  LOL
The first of every month
I will post a picture of myself
with my accomplishments from the prior month.
Not only the physical changes,
but also the internal changes
I hope to make.
Let me tell you...
this was a hard choice for me to make.
Now that I've made this public,
I HAVE to do something.
Keeping my word,
makes a difference.
Right?
Now, I am by no means a therapist,
or trying to be one.
I'm just trying to work on myself,
 and because I know what's wrong,
I am choosing to fix it.
So, the first few weeks will about self-improvment.
Once I get the hang of that, I'll move
on to 'sharing the love'.
Referring to the lyrics of Michael Jackson's, "Man in the Mirror"
I'm Starting With The Man In
The Mirror
I'm Asking Him To Change
His Ways
And No Message Could Have
Been Any Clearer
If You Wanna Make The World
A Better Place
Take A Look At Yourself, And
Then Make A Change
So here we go, folks!
Whether it's loosing weight,
something inside stopping you from being truly happy,
your creativity is blocked,
whatever the case may be,
we can do it!
I'm, by no means, saying this is going to be easy,
but it is going to be worth it.
xoxo
Cindy

8 comments:

Cindy Sharp said...

You go girl! Almost passed you without letting you know
I was here....then thought better of it.

We've all got nasty voices in our heads....here's to hushing them all.

Cindy said...

I really like where you're going with this! I will absolutely follow along and pick up pointers when I see a way to apply them to my life. I look forward to your Mondays.

Look at you in all of your sassy cuteness! You're adorable! I too hope to see less of myself this year (or have less of myself to see) and am trying to find a way to work regular exercise into my life. I think I found the time, so now I need to put in the effort.

As the for the voices, when I start seeing/hearing myself doubt myself I remember my Mom's greatest words ever. The day she dropped me off at college she told me to walk with my head held high. I have to remind myself sometimes, but when I do I feel a million times better about myself. Thanks, Mom!

Melissa P said...

Now this is the way to kick off a new year! You will make a difference, not only in yourself but in the lives of those around you.

Wendys Hat said...

This is beautiful! You've made me smile today and I thank you for that! Love your attitude and personal style. Good luck with the New Year!

thea said...

Thanks for being willing to share and what a great idea for a continuing theme. Finally, a reason to look forward to Monday!

Shay said...

I love what you're doing Cindy. I think most of us have those awful internal voices pushing us to believe things that arent true or that are negative (I certainly do ) I have managed to get much better this past year at ignoring them and I wish you luck on your journey. I'll be watching with interest and cheering you on .

You are beautiful inside and out my friend.

Linda Coleman said...

Wow Cindy, what a great post. I also want to lose weight and had decided that this was the year I was going to do it and not just think about it and after now reading your post I am now going to do it. I am going to make an appointment to get my cholestrol tested and make a start. Thank you for helping me get started.

linda said...

cindy can i come on your journey too i have some pounds to drop so we can do it together .
what a great post and we almost have the same birthday !! mine is the 2nd different year (older than you )
you are cute and gorgeous we love you for it !!